Careers in Community Services and Health Program
The Community Services & Health (CS&H) sector continues to grow in Geelong with the National Disability Insurance Scheme roll out, WorkSafe coming to the region and new hospitals such as the Epworth and a Barwon Health facility in the northern suburbs. CS&H is also the largest employer in the state and nationally, employing 12% of the national workforce in 2013 and tipped to grow a further 16% by 2018.
The Careers in Community Services & Health Program is an early entry level workforce development program aimed at school-aged young people and incorporating their families and teachers. It aims to interest more young people in the Geelong region to work in the burgeoning CS&H sector, including those who may experience social or educational exclusion.
The Program implements strategic and coordinated awareness raising activities and promotes matched pathways through VET in Schools or School based Traineeships into further education, training or employment in the CS&H sector. The Program is funded by the Skilling the Bay initiative until the end of 2017.
A cross sectoral Advisory Committee including: Barwon Health, St John of God Healthcare, St Laurence Community Services, Karingal, Bethany, Department of Health & Human Services, Gordon TAFE, Deakin University, Victorian Curriculum & Assessment Authority, Geelong High School, Sacred Heart College, Gforce Recruitment, Aboriginal Partnership Network, Geelong Career Teachers’ Association provides advice and support to the program.
The Careers in Community Services & Health Program objectives are to:
- increase enrolments in School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SbAT) and VET in Schools (VETiS)
- increase School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SbAT) and VET in Schools (VETiS) training completions
- increase the proportion of students applying for further study in CS&H post-school
- increase the percentage of ‘disadvantaged’ students participating in all programs (accredited and non-accredited)
- double the number of students participating in the Experience Community Services Taster Program
Awareness raising programs include:
- Experience Community Services Program - see some photos from recent events here
- Linking with Ambulance Victoria - see some photos from recent events here
- Work Experience at Barwon Health
- Careers in Health Taster Days for Aboriginal students - see some photos from recent events here
Accredited training programs for school students include VET in Schools and School based Traineeships in the following qualifications:
- Certificate II Health Support Services (customised for refugee and English as an Additional Language students)
- Cert IIII Community Services Work
- Certificate III Allied Health Assistance
- Certificate III Health Services Assistance
- Certificate III Laboratory Skills
- Certificate III Aged Care